Vast Visibility is a multi-layered insurance comparison technology company with expertise in lots of different areas. We specialize in building price comparison platform solutions for our whit label partners, optimization help for buying platforms and bespoke data solutions.
With over 3 million customer quotes and almost 400,000 policy sales in 2021, it is safe to say that data is at the heart of everything we do.
As our business expands and as we continue to invest in new technology, predominantly within the AWS ecosystem, we’re in need of a data engineer to help us consolidate our legacy data and reporting tools and to help us push through new data innovations to drive the future success of our business.
What is the data and insights team responsible for?
- Data structure and governance
- Data innovation – data lake, machine learning, anomaly detection
- Data insights and analysis for the business and its partners – shared via our operational portal framework
Main accountabilities – data engineer
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders across the business to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Work with data and analytics colleagues to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- You have an advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- You have experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- You have a commercial mindset that allows you to perform root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- You have strong analytical skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- You are a logical thinker and can build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large, disconnected datasets.
- You are self-organized and display good project management and organizational skills.
- You are outgoing and seek the knowledge and experience of others and can demonstrate your ability to work with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
Qualifications and experience
- At least 2 years of prior experience in a data engineering role is preferred.
- Attained a graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field.
- You should also have experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgre and Cassandra.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Gitlab, Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, Glue, Sagemaker, Kinesis
- Experience with programming/scripting languages: Python, R, Elixir, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
- Experience of AGILE methodology and working within a SCRUM framework would be beneficial but not essential.
Company benefits & perks
Vast:Visibility is offering you the opportunity to be part of an energetic and highly talented team along with a carefully selected and competitive benefits pack to support our healthy work-life balance approach:
- ⌨ Flexible hours and hybrid workplace policy
🍴 Lunch vouchers
🏖 Additional vacation days
🚗 Parking space
🏥 Private health insurance
🚵 Sports package/holiday vouchers/public transportation allowance/cultural vouchers
📚 Learning material (training sessions and certifications, Bookster) and foreign language classes
😍 Teambuilding events
🤩 Employment anniversary bonus
Ownership. Collaboration. Compassionate radical honesty. Just a group of grown-ups working towards a common goal and remembering to stop and have some fun every now and then.
Apply for this job
We take data privacy very seriously and we want to make sure you understand and agree to the way we collect, store and use your personal data. By filling in and submitting your application you provide us with your personal data. We collect your data in order to process your job application. We typically process and store your data for the duration of 10 years or until you withdraw your consent.